Friday, December 10, 2010

The Women's Empowerment Issue

While finishing up my research this week, I was flipping through papers and sources to compile my bibliography.  I happened upon a New York Times Magazine issue that Dr. Ferdowsi has given me a couple months back.  Due to work, soccer, and school, I had put off my 'pleasure reading' for until after finals.  But as I was just about to bypass the issue, I noticed the cover picture of a young white women surrounded by some young Afghan children.  After taking a closure look, I noticed that the issue was The Women's Empowerment Issue.  I flipped through the magazine and found articles on issues about a lot of problems of third world nations.   These articles included commentary on eradicating female genital mutilation in Africa, and also a D.I.Y. (do it yourself) piece on foreign aid.  I will bring the issue to class for people to look at.  If you want to take a closer look, here are the articles pertinent to our class!

1. The Art of Social Change (eradicating female genital mutilation in Africa)
2. D.I.Y Foreign-Aid Revolution

No comments:

Post a Comment